Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Little Forests

You know that part in Forest Gump where Forest first meets his son and asks if he is smart, and then you can see the relief when Jenny assures him that his is? That is how I feel when I go out and about with Ada and June and they interact with other adults.

Don't talk to her, she'll CRY!
I was a totally shy kid, like, I didn't talk to any of my teachers ever. My Mom was spoken to several times about the issue, there was a concern that I was learning anything because I didn't talk, ever. I think I even did a pull out counseling group about it when I was in 4th grade. I can remember turning red when I was called on to answer a question (and to be honest, I am better now, but it makes me sweat just thinking about that-yikes!). I couldn't even look at Santa in the mall at Christmas time and I was afraid of my own Gramps for the first several years of knowing him, and he was not even a little bit scary. Although he did have very deep voice, but it is the kind of thing that you could get used to in 2 or 3 hours as compared to 2 to 3 years. 

My daughters are not that same way at all. They will talk to anyone about anything. Yesterday we went to the beauty salon for haircuts, and both girls were chatty the whole time. Today, Ada went to the Post Office with me and picked out 3 books of stamps, talking with the mailman the whole time. It really blows me away! Yay for bold girls!

Before I had kids I assumed they would just be little mini-versions of me but it hasn't turned out that way at all. I think it is better this way.

Happy Wednesday!

1 comment:

  1. First, YEA! I can comment! Second, who is the picture of the child with the puppies? Is that you?
    Finally - I am amazed that you were so shy - I never got that feeling from knowing you when you were young. And you don't seem that way as an adult. But, yes, I understand. I was very very concerned with grades when I was young. I thought it uber important to get straight A's. My son is not like that at all. At first, this worried me, but after much pondering, I see that straight A's really didn't do anything for me in life and his way (less concern for grades, more concern for other aspects of life) is good. I think having a kid taught me that there is more than one path to take in life and they are all good, and none of them guarantees success.
    Keep up the writing!

    ReplyDelete